Join Our Team
When a resident of the Mohawk Valley has an emergency they call 911. Whether it involves a fire or a medical issue it is the volunteers of Mohawk valley Fire District who respond. What would you think if no one responded? Everyone in our community needs someone who is willing to help in a time of need and that someone could be you. If you have the desire to help your neighbors and make your community a better place to live then please consider volunteering with Mohawk Valley Fire District.
Mohawk Valley Fire District is currently taking applications for volunteer firefighters and junior volunteer firefighters.
Applications can be obtained a Mohawk Valley Sation #1 in Marcola at 92068 Marcola Road, Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm Or print a copy of the application here. Just fill it out and bring it into Station #1, Mail it in, or email it to Training Officer.
Requirements to become a Volunteer Firefighter:
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Pass basic physical test.
- Complete basic entry level fire academy.
- Possess a valid driver's license.
Duties of the Volunteer Firefighter:
- Complete a district entry level fire academy lasting approximately 8 days over a period of 4 weekends.
- Attend two hours of weekly training drills.
- Respond on emergency calls when available.
- Respond to an assigned station and respond as part of a crew on assigned apparatus.
- Perform the duties of a firefighter at you appropriate level of training.
- Assist EMS personnel on medical calls to the appropriate level of training.
- Assist in maintaining their assigned station in a clean and orderly manner both inside and out.
Junior Firefighter Volunteers
The purpose of Mohawk Valley's junior firefighter program is to prepare members for volunteering and/or a career in the fire service, to educate members in the proper operation and use of fire and medical equipment, to teach and train it's members the principles of fire prevention, firefighting, fire control and emergency medical services, and to help develop strong community service attitudes.
Requirements to become a Junior Firefighter
- Must be 16-18 years of age.
- Parent's permission slip with a parent/training coordinator interview.
- Passing grades in school (min. 2.0 GPA).
- Must attend 2 hour weekly training drill.
- Pass Basic physical test and entry level fire academy.
- Must meet the attendance policy at his/her school.
- Must be a resident of the Mohawk Valley.
Duties of the Junior Firefighter
- Junior firefighters will be able to respond to emergency scenes on emergency vehicles to participate in the incidents, in non-hazardous duties. These duties may include:
- Manning exterior hose lines.
- Retrieving equipment
- 'Hose pick up
- Guide for incoming units
- Laying hose
- Assisting Firefighters and Medical personnel
- Assist Incident Command
- Participating in support swervices such as equipment and apparatus clean-up and station maintenance.
- Respond to the station to assist in manning the station during emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Junior firefighters will be allowed to train in all aspects of firefighting unless otherwise noted.
If you have any further questions regarding volunteer opportunities please contact the District Training officer at (541) 933-2907.